Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Personal is Political

I've never been so political... there are some things I just don't talk about politics, money, and religion but I AM POLITICAL...In college if you met me you would have thought I was a New Wave Feminist...I so believe the personal is political...meaning my personal life my personal being is political...I believe in the way of life in Cuba...with all my heart I do...I passed up a chance to illegally visit there but I won't next summer....I'm going...

In college I was depressed...I was so depressed... I'm from New Jersey and I'm not sure if you noticed last night or not but we are a blue state...I went to college at the University of Florida in the middle of no where Florida...and things have changed slightly the kids there aren't like they were when I was there but I was there when Bush stole both elections...I was in line for 2 hours both times when it came to vote...I staged marches, sit-ins, and shit was just fucked up in Florida...I mean really look at the movie School Dazes to see a dramatic representation of what it was like to go to school at Florida... The locals hated us...they thought the African-Americans there were stuck up ... I mean it was a challenge...going to classes and being the only black person in your class....then no one talking to you until midterms because they looked over your shoulder and saw you had an A...so now its can I borrow your notes or study with you? Do you know how long it takes from the start of a class to midterms? I know 6 weeks! I hated that school my freshmen year and contemplated transferring on several occasions but my mother said stick it out...you will make it...this is a tough learning lesson you need to know about life ... You need to know that racism is still alive...and never more did I feel that when I started my political life ... when I began staging the political processes at UF...when we ran the secret talks of getting the 4th ever Black Student Body President Elected at UF in the living room of my college apartment...and when I left school and was the only Black Woman at work and every time I changed my weave I got questioned...and when I came to an office with more Black People who seemed to take everything personal and not realize that its not personal its institutional, its racism!

And then last night God...God gave me the gracious honor to see the first African-American President to be elected by the people, by an overwhelming amount, by those who like me...woke up yesterday at 5:30am to make sure that their vote counted...I started to photo journal what happened but I couldn't the lines were so long...yes lines cause I waited in 3 different lines to vote and I still made it out in an hour or so....This is becoming a disjointed post but...Thank you America for the FIRST BABY STEPS IN YEARS TOWARDS RACIAL EQUALITY...I'm not saying the first steps ... I'm staying the first steps in years...

I became I Social Worker for one reason only...I wanted to change the world after I graduated college and adapted the Feminist Doctrines that I learned at UF to my life...I was originally going to be a teacher but when I got to the schools and noticed that my students had more important shit on their minds such as heat, gas, electricity, parents on drugs, their own children, their siblings, rent...I said kids at schools don't need Teachers as bad as they need Social Workers...Workers for a Social Change...I am being political now...when I call on all of you to remember now that we made it to another threshold let's not forget those who can not make it as far as we have because they don't have Workers for a Social Change...we must all be in our individual lives in some way...Workers for a Social Change...

Although Obama is not fully immersed in Hip Hop...Hip Hop has adopted him and the best display of that is through Joell Ortiz...Letter to Obama...
~Cherry's Kid

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:15 PM , Blogger Sha Boogie said...

Obama! Obama! Didn't he say he had Jigga on his ipod? lol

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger cherry's kid said...

Sha - He does have that on his Ipod!!!!! Did you see his dance brushing the dirt off his shoulder?

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Dave Van Buren said...

Nice post, I thought I was the only person who knew about Joell Ortiz.. lol

 
At 8:05 PM , Blogger cherry's kid said...

Super Dave Faster than Superman or ... okay so I forgot the rest of the new name...but I live in the tri-state area of course I know about Joell Ortiz plus Hot 97 plays his stuff every now and then...but he's cool..thanks for supporting!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home