Tuesday, June 24, 2008

He's In a Coma

Right now my uncle is in a coma. He had a stroke. But not the type of stroke you can think of...meaning he doesn't drink, smoke, or even eat meat. He is 55 and picture, perfect healthy until he had a nightmare last Tuesday and jumped out of his sleep. When he did that he popped a vein that goes into his brain which cut off the blood that goes to his brain. He stroked on Wednesday. On Thursday he was fine, speaking, reading, chilling in the hosital bed then ... then on Friday they drained the fuild around his brain with a shunt and he hasn't awaken yet....

But my mother is driving me crazy. I know that is her brother and I understand how she feels but we have had nothing but positive reports from his wife, my grandmother, and the doctors. The brain waves are fine. His organs are perfect. The brain swelling has gone down and there is rapid eye movement, meaning he's sleeping. But my mother is going insane. We're talking about her baby brother here.

My mother is the type of anal person you meet on the street and automatically decide you don't want to be her friend because she corrected her grammar at least 10 times within the 5 minutes you have met her. She's the type of person you try to tell a joke to and she just looks at you. You ask her if it was funny and she says yeah but doesn't laugh. She has defrosted the fridge 2x, seasoned all the food and refroze it. She has stripped the wall paper and fixtures in the bathroom and is in the process of reconstructing the only bathroom in our home.

My mom has always said that she is the sane one when something goes wrong in the family. And she usually is. She is usually the one who will be able to hold everyone together, get the essential work needed done, and hold us all down. But right now, right now she ain't holding no one down. Now I have to do everything. I'm doing things when I'm the one who falls apart. I usually am the one at the funeral who jumps on the casket screaming take me with you!!!!! I guess the problem is I don't have a place to vent, to be myself and actually cry...instead I have to be the adult day and night around the clock. What's worst is I have to be the adult because I did an internship in a hospital so according to my family "I know about medical stuff and problems". Thanks for listening...going back to being an adult!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't worry I plan on sending my mother to see her brother, did I mention he lives on the other coast...yeah I got to get her out of here...I'm sending her soon!!!!

I do have to say thanks for my aunt...she is the only other person in the family is as together as I am...but I guess I'm so together because I know my uncle is going to snap out of this!

4 Comments:

At 4:24 AM , Blogger Rashan Jamal said...

Well damn. I'm sorry to hear about that. I'll think a good thought for your fam.

 
At 12:51 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

hugs for your uncle. i'll pray for him.

 
At 11:07 AM , Blogger JayBee said...

i see a changing of the guard. maybe you'll be the 'strong' one in the family. this is unfortunate, but He's to wise to make a mistake. (i'm not going to preach.) the reports are positive, so the outlook is good. i'd probably ask her, wth would you be doing if the reports were bad? snape out of it and pull it together. but just being there to support her is what she needs. stay strong. it's might get a little heavy carry yourself and her, but you've got it in you because that's how your mom typically is.

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger cherry's kid said...

Thanks everyone for the support. I can proudly announce that he is not sitting up in bed, off the ventilator, moving his arms, and he can see. No talking yet but he is doing much better. My mom is still out there...not sure when she is coming back...been home alone for a couple of weeks now and getting kind of lonely...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home