Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Second Chance? IDK

I know ... just by looking at the labels below you think that I've met someone convict incarcerated as a pen pal and now we're getting married although he is serving life... WRONG but close...

Do our black men serve a life sentenced although they have completed their sentences and "turned their lives around" by becoming contributing citizens to society?

Let me explain further, do we relegate our black men to meaningless and subservient relationships because they completed a prison sentenced. Tonight I was on a conference call meeting with my fellow Auxiliary members. We were discussing business but once the meeting was adjourned we started on the fact that there are many black men who have re-entered society however young, savvy, professional black women over look them due to prior incarcerations. Now I'm not talking about the career criminal. I'm talking about Rasheed who always hung out with Mutah. Mutah got into a fight was carrying a gun but has prior charges, Rasheed, to help his boy out held the gun for Mutah. They got pulled over and basically Rasheed did 2-3 years for Mutah his boy. Had he had not done that he would have went to college or a trade school and met his potential. Now do we count this brother out because he decided to be loyal to a friend. Or do we give a second chance by engaging in a relationship with him.

That's my cross road at this time. Don't get it twisted. I'm not in a relationship and I'm not looking to engage in one. But I'm interested in someone. He's interested back. I want to take things ultra slow, but he has a record for that exact scenario. Trust me for a living I investigate so I did a thorough investigation without his knowledge. But what do I do? Do I hold it against him because he made a foolish mistake at 18 years old. Or am I understanding because he now works in a Fortune 500 company and is going somewhere?

If you were me ... what would you do? Better yet, if you were him would you want someone to count you out because you made a mistake. We're all human, we make mistakes - period! Why does love have to fail now?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sooooooo glad you started up again 8-)

Love it!!

I think you should give him a chance. We all make mistakes cause we aren't Jesus. Therefore if you count out trust...at some future date when you fuck up the same'll happen to you. It's one thing if he was still a fuck up. But to see someone turning their lives around only means he has more wisdom than he had before and that's what we all need...to keep learning till we die.

GO FOR IT!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home